Mosaic Wine Group is pleased to announce the addition of Patz & Hall Winery to its incredible portfolio of clients. Patz & Hall is acclaimed as one of the top producers of world class Pinot Noirs & Chardonnays from California. With a philosophy of utilizing only the best and most trusted farmers from the greatest vineyards in Napa & Sonoma, Patz & Hall has created a diverse portfolio of amazing, focused wines.
Established in 1988, Donald Patz & James Hall embarked upon their mission to craft benchmark, small-production, single-vineyard Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs from the best vineyard sources in Napa & Sonoma. Today the winery produces 8 top-quality Chardonnays and 7 incredible Pinot Noirs. Here’s a breakdown of the portfolio, with descriptions:
- Dutton Ranch: Always one of the most highly sought-after single vineyards for Chardonnay, this dry-farmed vineyard produces small, but intensely concentrated fruit. Tasting Notes: Aromas of stone fruit and green apple and pure fruit flavors of pineapple, peach and spicy pear, with an intricate, plush and creamy palate and a long, textured finish with dense, structured acidity.
- Napa Valley: This Napa Valley appellation wine combines three distinctive vineyard sources, including Hudson Vineyard in Carneros, Atlas Peak’s Antinori Vineyard and Garvey Vineyard in Oakville. Tasting Notes: Bright flavors of green apple, pear, lychee and white flowers coalesce in a richly textured and elegantly balanced wine that concludes with a long, satisfying finish.
- Alder Springs: At 2600′ elevation in Chato Peak in Northern Mendocino, Alder Springs is one of the highest Chardonnay vineyards in California. Tasting Notes: Remarkable density and palate tension with concentrated aromas of spicy cinnamon pastry, honey, peach and pineapple. Beautifully textured with intricate stone fruit flavors and extraordinary minerality, this is a benchmark wine from an elite mountain vineyard. (520 cases produced)
- Hyde Vineyard: Located in Carneros, Larry Hyde is highly regarded for his incredible Chardonnay and Pinot Noir vineyards. Tasting Notes: Well defined with lemon cream, orange blossom and creme brulee flavors, with restrained oak, refreshing acidity and an appealing roasted hazelnut quality. (2,690 cases produced)
- Hudson Vineyard: Also located in Carneros, Hudson Vineyard is characterized by the well-drained loam soils and long hangtimes. Tasting Notes: Crisp acidity lends a balancing freshness and minerality to vibrant, juicy fruit elements of citrus peal, grapefruit, peaches and lightly poached pears, with well-integrated oak that contributes a textural foundation and hints of clove. (845 cases produced)
- Zio Tony Ranch: Located in the Russian River Valley and owned by the Martinelli family, with iron-rich, reddish sandy loam soils. Tasting Notes: Vibrant and racy, with bright minerality and layers of concentrated peach, spicy pear, green apple and honeydew melon. Intriguing floral and spice elements are accented by pleasing layers of vanilla, clove and maple syrup. (448 cases produced)
- Durell Vineyard: From Sonoma Valley, these meticulously farmed vineyards produce extremely low yields and beautiful, concentrated fruit. Tasting Notes: Displaying cool climate elements of the fruit spectrum with lemon blossom, crisp pippin apple, pear and lemon cream, with a cleansing acidity, natural minerality and an extraordinary finish.
- Sonoma Coast: This Sonoma Coast appellation wine combines vineyard sites from Sonoma Coast, Green Valley, Sonoma Valley and Russian River Valley. Tasting Notes: Beautiful expression of PInot Noir with bright red fruit aromas of cranberry and pomegranate, accentuated by seductive layers of chambord, butter and cinnamon spice. Exhibits classic acidity with well-structured and balanced cranberry and cherry notes.
- Hyde Vineyard: Carneros is one of the classic locales for Pinot Noir and Larry Hyde is a master of Carneros. Tasting Notes: Showcases layers of strawberry, cherry and cassis, with an exotic hint of cinnamon-clove spice, intricate balance and complexity and smooth tannins and focused acidity. (1,515 cases produced)
- Alder Springs: Defined by its high elevation and low-vigor uplifted marine soils Alder Springs produces small vines, clusters and berries. Tasting Notes: Vibrant aromatics of plum skin, cranberry and tart cherry, which segues to flavors of red and dark fruit and enticing notes of sassafras and licorice, with youthful acidity and silky tannins.
- Chenoweth Ranch: Located in Green Valley, Chenoweth is one of the regions coolest areas and is farmed exclusively for Patz & Hall. Tasting Notes: Concentrated red fruit flavors of plum skin, cherry and pomegranate, and deep layers of maple syrup, blackberry and wood smoke, with polished, sweet tannins that will appeal with maturity.
- Pisoni Vineyard: Gary Pisoni is considered by many to be the King of the Santa Lucia Highlands, and his vineyards yield grapes of remarkable power and complexity. Tasting Notes: Red apple and raspberry aromas the reveal notes of smoky clove and loganberry, with classic Pisoni layers of raspberry, blackberry and strawberry pie and incredible length and depth. (224 cases produced)
- Jenkins Ranch: These low-yielding, gravelly loam soil vineyards are located in Sebastopol and exhibit beautiful Sonoma Coast flavors, aromas and acidity. Tasting Notes: Supple, satisfying and elegant, with walnut bread aromas that mingle with layers of clove, cinnamon spice and mulled cherry cider. The palate is creamy, with highlights of raspberry, cherry and pomegranate flavors and a soft, lingering finish.
- Burnside Vineyard: This Sonoma Coast vineyard expresses classic Pinot Noir aromas and flavors with cool marine elements from the Pacific Ocean. Tasting Notes: Beautiful and energetic with tremendous extraction, aromas of dark cherry, rose petal and cinnamon and plush flavors of red apple, cranberry and cherry jam that lead to a long, velvety finish. (224 cases produced)
James Hall, Donald Patz, Anne Moses and Heather Patz of Patz & Hall