Mosaic Wine Group is proud to announce the highly anticipated arrival of the wines from Maynard James Keenan and Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars! The wines have just landed in Texas and will be distributed through Pioneer Wine Company. Coincidentally, Maynard was in Texas this past weekend touring with his iconic rock band, TOOL. Mosaic Wine Group had the pleasure of attending both shows and spending some time with Keenan to talk about his wines, and his part in the pioneering duo behind Caduceus Cellars, Arizona Stronghold and Merkin Vineyards.
Maynard James Keenan and Eric Glomski
In May, Mosaic Wine Group had the opportunity to fly out to Arizona to visit the property to familiarize ourselves with the story, the terroir and the components of this innovative project in the highlands of Arizona. For more information on this visit, check out our blog post of the trip. The portfolio includes a broad selection of wines from Arizona, supplemented by a couple of wines produced in the Central Coast of California and Paso Robles, where Eric Glomski honed his winemaking skills with David Bruce Winery.
Here’s some detailed information on the portfolio of wines:
- TAZI (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling and Malvasia Bianca): Tazi was the eldest son of Cochise and peacemaker for the Chiricahua Apache Tribe. Tasting Notes: Fresh, bright acidity, with floral aromas and both tropical & citrus fruit flavors, leading to a clean, balanced finish. (1967 cases produced)
- DAYDEN ROSE (Saignee Rosé of Grenache, Sangiovese, Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Mourvedre): Dayden means “little girl” in Cochise’s native Apache language. Tasting Notes: Light crushing and limited skin contact lend to fruity and floral aromas, while the palate is rich and full-bodied with delicate flavors of crushed strawberries, sour cherry and crisp, refreshing acidity. (295 cases produced)
- NACHISE (Syrah, Grenache & Petite Syrah): Nachise was the youngest son of Cochise, and fiercest warrior & freedon fighter for the Chiricahua Apache Tribe. Tasting Notes: This Rhone-style blend is rich and smoky with flavors of cassis, blackberry, licorice and mineral notes. (Fall ’09 Release)
- MANGUS (Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Pfeffer & Petite Syrah): Mangus Coloradas was Cochise’s Father-in-Law and leader of the Mimbres Clan of Apache. Tasting Notes: Italian-style blend with bright red fruit, cardamom spice and leather, with nice concentration of dried fruit, lush acidity and firm, integrated tannins. (Fall ’09 Release)
- CHUPACABRA (Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Petite Verdot & Petite Syrah): “The Shape Shifter”, this wine has evolved since it’s inception, with inaugural vintages born of Paso Robles, California fruit, which will transition into Arizona fruit. Tasting Notes: Bold, rich and dark with a ribbon of acidity and freshness that leads to tremendous structure and complexity.
Merkin Vineyards Chupacabra Label
- DOS LADRONES (Chardonnay & Malvasia Bianca): “The Two Thieves”, this inaugural release of 50/50 Chardonnay & Malvasia Bianca is stunning! Tasting Notes: Tropical fruit aromas and flavors of pineapple, mango and white peach, with lovely balance and acidity.
- PRIMER PASO (Syrah & Malvasia Bianca): “The First Step”, this Cote Rotie style Rhone blend is tremendous, bold and well sculpted! Tasting Notes: Beautifully concentrated aromas of forest, orange peel and tobacco, with velvety red & dark fruit and a deep, rich and clean finish. (280 cases produced)
- ANUBIS (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc & Syrah): Rhone meets Bordeaux in our unique blend. Tasting Notes: Blueberry, floral and cedar notes lead to rich, decadent tones of clove, star anise and cigar box and a silky, smooth finish.
- NAGUAL DE LA NAGA (Cabernet Sauvignon & Sangiovese): From Paso Robles, this Super-Tuscan blend is a perfect combination of ‘New World’ Sangiovese meets ‘Old World’ Brunello. Tasting Notes: Raspberries and black cherries with black currant, coffee and thyme. Rich, complex and delightful.
- NAGUAL DEL SENSEI (Cabernet Sauvignon & Syrah): Inaugural release from Pope Valley in Califiornia, earned 90 points from Wine Spectator. Tasting Notes: Brawny, muscular style with fruit forward style, and velvety-smooth tannins. (87 cases produced)
- JUDITH (100% Cabernet Sauvignon): Named for Maynard James Keenan’s mother. Tasting Notes: Incredible concentration of dark and red fruit, currant, cassis and cedar, with beautiful acidity and a long, lingering finish. (90 cases produced) – SOLD OUT
Maynard with a bottle of his prized Caduceus Cellars Judith Cabernet Sauvignon
For more information on these wines, please contact Mosaic Wine Group. And stay tuned for more information and details, including fall / winter tour dates when Maynard will be touring with his new project, Puscifer!